The 4-jaw chuck is the most versatile of all the chucks. It can hold round and square shaped materials. Unlike the 3-jaw chuck (self-centering) each jaw on the 4-jaw chuck is adjusted independently of the others.
The 1030ER chuck is a 4 jaw, 3 1/4 inch diameter lathe chuck with 22MM x 1.5MM (ER16) thread mount, jaws adjusted independently (reversible heat treated steel jaws)
Some features of the 4-jaw chuck are:
- Hardened steel jaws with steps
- Reversible range 1/8 to 3 1/4 inches
- Jaws are independently adjusted in pairs
- Setting a workpiece off center creates crankcase and cam shapes
- Parts may be machined to run very true (this will require more time to center than a self-centering 3 jaw chuck)